Ask 1,000 random lifters in the event that they want extra muscular arms and only a few (trustworthy) souls will inform you “no.” The biceps are among the many most seen physique components, and a powerful set of weapons will normally make heads spin.
However there are different advantages to biceps coaching past including slabs of meat underneath your sleeves — improved energy, shoulder stability, and joint well being. (1) Heck, you possibly can even use it to shed some fats and protect lean muscle whereas slicing energy.
Folks normally envision biceps coaching both as an afterthought after coaching a bigger physique half like their again or verify, or they strategy it as a part of a pure arms-only health club session consisting primarily of single-joint (isolation) workouts.
However when you’re sensible and inventive, or when you’re in a state of affairs with subsequent to no gear, you may bypass the weights and supply your physique with a refreshing and efficient exercise yielding a great deal of advantages. Whether or not you don’t go to a health club, are touring overseas, or need to spice issues up, attempt one among these weight-free exercises to get your biceps coaching to the subsequent stage.
Greatest Biceps Exercises
Greatest Body weight-Solely Biceps Exercise
Coaching with out weights is getting again to the roots of coaching — having the ability to grasp your personal physique. For those who’re bored with lifting iron and need to get again in contact together with your primal self, do that routine. It could be a disgrace to cut back your self to solely single-joint (isolation) workouts, as a result of the biceps are concerned in quite a lot of actions aside from easy arm flexion.
This exercise makes use of a mix of multi-joint workouts tweaked to focus extra on the biceps, in addition to isolation actions. This may cowl all of this muscle’s features whereas offering the very best stimulus for energy, muscle growth, and fat loss for your body. Indeed, multi-joint exercises are generally better for strength adaptations and calories spent, while single-joint work is great to improve the mind-muscle connection or to bring up a specific weak point.
The No-Weight Workout
Perform this workout once per week for optimal results, after a warm-up. Since you can’t increase the weight to progress, you’ll have to use other methods. When you can comfortably perform the desired numbers of repetitions per set, increase it to the upper bracket of the upper range. For instance, if an exercise calls for 12 to 15 reps, once you can do all your sets of 12, try to bump them up to 15. Then, you can try to add another set. Finally, you can also reduce rest periods progressively.
Position yourself under a pull-up bar and grab it with your thumbs facing you and you hands touching each other. Hang dead from the bar and brace your core to stabilize yourself. Pull your shoulder blades down to initiate the movement and bend your elbows to elevate yourself towards the barbell, and aim your head toward the left side of the bar.
Aim to touch the bar with your right shoulder. Lower yourself down with control back to the starting position and repeat, this time with your head toward the right side of the bar and aiming to touch it with your left shoulder. Repeat for the desired amount of reps. The next set, switch hands so that the one that was the closest to you on the pull-up bar is now the farthest.
- Sets and Reps: 4 x 4-8
- Rest time: Three minutes between sets.
Position yourself under a pull-up bar and grab it using a nearly shoulder-width supinated grip (palms facing towards you). Brace your core, pack your shoulder blades together and down, and pull yourself up until your arms are approximately at a 90-degree angle.
Hold that position and start moving your body towards and away from the bar by extending and flexing the arms. No other body part should move and it should look like you were trying to headbutt the bar — don’t do it, though. Repeat this movement for the target amount of time. Because this can be a challenging exercise, begin with a shorter range of motion (extending your arms only partially) and gradually work toward full extension.
- Sets and Reps: 3 x 30-60 seconds
- Rest time: Two minutes between sets.
Grab a sturdy towel with both hands and twist it until it forms a noodle or spiral. Sit on a chair or a bench, with your back flat and your chest high. Place the center of the towel under one foot and hold an end in each hand.
Pin your elbows to your side and start flexing your arms towards your face against resistance applied by your foot. When you’re at the top and your hands are near your shoulders, reverse the motion and slowly extend your arms, still providing tension through your foot.
- Sets and Reps: 3 x 10-15
- Rest time: 90 seconds between sets.
Lateral Plank Walk
Get in a plank position with hands on the floor, both arms extended, and your legs straight. Brace your core, pack your shoulders, and keep your body in a straight line. Take one step to the side with your right arm and right foot. Follow in the same direction with your left hand and foot.
Repeat for a few steps in the same direction, then reverse to the move in the opposite direction. Continue for the desired duration.
- Sets and Reps: 3 x 60 seconds
- Rest time: 60 seconds between sets.
Position yourself under a doorway pull-up bar set low, a dip bar, under a table, or a sturdy broom positioned between a pair of chairs. Grab the bar using a shoulder-width, pronated grip (palms facing away from you). Brace your core and flex your legs so your body forms a straight line.
Bend your elbows and pull your chest towards the bar, aiming to touch it the bar with your chest. Lower yourself with control until your arms are extended and repeat for as many reps as you can. Try to beat your score each session.
- Sets and Reps: 2 x maximum reps until muscular failure.
- Rest time: Two minutes.
Bands are a very interesting lifting tool because they provide accommodating resistance — tension and force increases as the band is stretched farther. This type of resistance allows for a unique feeling and more training possibilities. It’s also an effective way to complement bodyweight training because bands allow for a wider exercise election and better focus on some muscles. Band training is also invaluable for joint and tendon health. (2)
With such a robust case in favor of resistance band coaching, it’s time to do this biceps exercise to achieve some energy, construct muscle, and assist to shed fats.
One-Band Biceps Exercise
Carry out this exercise as soon as per week for optimum outcomes, after a warm-up. To progress, you should use a heavier band, or a mix of a number of smaller bands to offer sufficient resistance. You may also play with quantity. For example, if an train requires 12 to fifteen reps, when you are able to do all of your units of 12, attempt to bump it as much as 15. Then, you may attempt to add one other set. Lastly, it’s also possible to scale back relaxation durations every week.
Loop a band round a pull-up bar. Grasp from the bar utilizing a supinated grip (palms dealing with you) together with your arms near shoulder-width. Place your toes on the band, holding your legs straight. Brace your core, puff your chest, pull your shoulder blades down, and pull your self in the direction of the bar by bending your elbows till you contact the bar together with your chest.
Decrease your self with management till your arms are straight. Repeat for the specified quantity of repetitions. The band will make the train simpler firstly of the motion, permitting you to carry out extra repetitions and barely favor your arms within the motion.
- Units and Reps: 3 x 8-12
- Relaxation time: Two minutes.
Single-Arm Band Hammer Curl
Stand tall and place one finish of the band underneath your foot. Seize the opposite finish together with your working hand. Hold your elbows at your sides. Bend your elbow and flex your arm towards your face. Solely your forearm ought to transfer, not your shoulder.
Contract for a second on the prime, then decrease with management to the beginning place. Carry out all repetitions on one aspect earlier than switching arms. To extend the resistance, maintain each ends of the band in a single hand.
- Units and Reps: 3 x 12-15
- Relaxation time: 60 seconds between units.
Band Focus Curl
Connect a band to a sturdy object round ground-level. Sit on a chair close to the band and seize the band together with your closest arm, putting your elbow on the within of your thigh, simply above your knee. Widen your stance to make room to your arm. Bend your elbow and flex your arm towards your face, squeezing for a second on the prime.
Slowly lengthen your arm afterwards till it’s straight once more. Repeat for the specified quantity of reps earlier than switching arms. Make it possible for no physique half aside from your forearms are transferring in the course of the train — don’t squeeze together with your knee to help your arm. To extend the problem, sit farther from the band’s attachment.
- Units and Reps: 3 x 10-12
- Relaxation time: 60 seconds between units.
Band Reverse Curl
Step within the heart of a band and seize the ends with each arms utilizing a pronated (palms dealing with down), shoulder-width grip. Stand tall, brace your core, and pack your shoulder blades down. Bend your elbows by flexing your biceps to drag the band towards your face. Solely transfer your forearms, don’t permit your elbows to maneuver ahead. Hold your palms dealing with down in the course of the train.
Decrease your arms with management till your arms are straight, and repeat for the specified quantity of repetitions. For a extra intense train and a critical burn, you may instantly add a number of partial vary repetitions, developing solely midway to completely end off your arms.
- Units and Reps: 3 x 15-20
- Relaxation time: 90 seconds between units.
The Biceps Muscle groups
The biceps are most likely essentially the most recognized and most ceaselessly flexed muscular tissues. Developed biceps are principally coveted for an aesthetic objective, however additionally they cowl an array of features for well being and efficiency.
The biceps brachii is the most important arm flexor, the ball of meat in your higher arm. Composed of two heads — therefore its prefix, “bi” — the biceps is hooked up from the ulna (forearm bone) to the scapula (shoulder blade) going via the shoulder advanced.
It’s principally generally known as an arm flexor and supinator (rotating the palm in the direction of your face), but additionally contributes to elevating your arms and stabilizing your shoulder and humerus (higher arm bone). Having wholesome and powerful biceps is a prerequisite for having upper-body energy and well being.
This muscle is part of the higher arm advanced, and is situated straight underneath the biceps. It goes from the elbow to the higher humerus, and is simply concerned in elbow flexion (bending the arm). It’s really the strongest arm flexor, not the biceps.
Creating this muscle will even assist when you’re solely curious about seems. Making it greater can really improve the “peak” of your biceps, by pushing it increased. Once you’re lean sufficient, it’s also possible to see it for a really spectacular set of weapons. To emphasise this muscle, assume a impartial (hammer) grip throughout curls.
The biceps’ different good friend, the brachioradialis, can be hooked up from the ulna to the humerus. It’s the most important and strongest forearm muscle. It really works synergistically with the biceps and the brachialis, helping in forearm flexion, supination, and pronation (rotating the palms away from you).
Having massive and powerful forearms is helpful for a lot of workouts, however can even function a visible phantasm to compensate for shorter biceps by making them look greater. You emphasize this muscle with a pronated (palm down) grip.
Warming up earlier than a exercise can enhance your efficiency whereas minimizing connective tissue pressure and threat of accidents. (3) It’s very true earlier than doing biceps, because the elbow is a notoriously delicate joint, and a few biceps workouts contain the shoulder advanced — essentially the most unstable joint in your complete physique.
A great biceps warm-up ought to a minimum of mobilize your biceps and triceps, but when the workouts require different physique components, make sure that to incorporate them as effectively. Right here’s a whole resistance band warm-up to prime your physique earlier than a biceps exercise.
Biceps Band Heat-up
- Band Over-and-Again: Seize a band with each arms, utilizing a really extensive and pronated (palms down) grip. Stand tall, then hinge on the hips to barely bend ahead whereas holding your again flat, and maintain this place. Whereas holding your arms straight, increase the band over your head, then again all the way down to your decrease again. Return to the beginning place by rotating your arms, nonetheless holding them straight and underneath pressure. Carry out 15 reps earlier than transferring to the subsequent train.
- Band Pull-Aside: Stand with a resistance band in your arms, palm downs. Increase your arms to shoulder stage, in entrance of your chest. Pull the band together with your arms, bringing them to your sides till it touches your chest. Hold your arms straight the entire time. Return to the beginning place. Carry out 15 reps earlier than transferring to the subsequent train.
- Band Row: Anchor the band to a sturdy merchandise, just below chest-height. Stand tall together with your chest excessive and seize it utilizing a impartial grip (palms dealing with one another). Pull together with your elbows and squeeze your again as onerous as you may till your arms are at your sides. Revert the movement with management. Carry out 15 reps earlier than transferring to the subsequent train.
- Band Curl: Step into the band, maintain it together with your palms upwards, arms prolonged. Whereas holding your physique braced, curl the band towards your face and squeeze your biceps. Prolong your arms with management and carry out 15 reps earlier than transferring to the subsequent train.
- Band Pressdown: Connect the band excessive, a minimum of to eye-level. Maintain the ends with a pronated grip. Barely bend ahead at your waist and glue your elbows to your ribs. Utterly lengthen your arms down, solely transferring your forearms, and squeeze your triceps. Deliver your arms again to your chest for a complete of 15 repetitions, and carry out your complete circuit yet another time for an intensive warm-up.
Arm Your self With Greater Weapons
No weights? No issues. You don’t want them to fill your sleeves. Performing these no-weight biceps exercises can improve your arm measurement, in addition to your energy, and contribute to shedding some fats within the course of. This physique half may be eye-catching, however there’s extra to biceps coaching than meets the eyes.
- Rodosky MW, Harner CD, Fu FH. The function of the lengthy head of the biceps muscle and superior glenoid labrum in anterior stability of the shoulder. Am J Sports activities Med. 1994 Jan-Feb;22(1):121-30. doi: 10.1177/036354659402200119. PMID: 8129095.
- Kim GJ, Oh H, Lee S, Lee Ok, Kim Ok. Results of resistance train utilizing the elastic band on the ache and performance of sufferers with degenerative knee arthritis. J Phys Ther Sci. 2020 Jan;32(1):52-54. doi: 10.1589/jpts.32.52. Epub 2020 Jan 22. PMID: 32082029; PMCID: PMC7008024.
- Fradkin AJ, Zazryn TR, Smoliga JM. Results of warming-up on bodily efficiency: a scientific assessment with meta-analysis. J Energy Cond Res. 2010 Jan;24(1):140-8. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c643a0. PMID: 19996770.
Featured Picture: YAKOBCHUK VIACHESLAV / Shutterstock